We organise up to 10 Grand Prix multi-terrain races per year, as part of a race series. Each one is organised as a specialist veteran race by one of our associated clubs and we try to spread them out across our region as much as possible. See below for our 2023 fixture list.
Our Grand Prix races frequently have over 200 runners and are a great social as well as competitive outing.
All entrants must be over the age of 33. To run and count in the Grand Prix races you must be a member of a club that is affiliated to the Yorkshire Veterans Athletic Association, or affiliated as an individual yourself. For details of how to affiliate, see our Membership page. Runners of age 33 and 34 will be guests for their affiliated clubs and will not be eligible to score points until they are a fully fledged vet of 35.
Grand Prix Registration / Numbers
Eligible athletes can register for the series for free online. You will then be able to enter any Grand Prix races you want to (subject to race entry limits). We are now using online entry through our website, with no entry on the day (unless you have a voucher you’ve won at a previous race). Race entry costs £5.
You will be issued with a new number when you attend your first race of the series. This number should be kept and worn on the front of your vest for all subsequent races in the current series. This number is for Grand Prix races only; don’t use it for Championship races! Replacements for lost numbers will be available for £1.
If you are a scoring runner, you must also wear an age category label (showing e.g. F35, or M50), on the back of your vest. These can be obtained from race HQ. Non-scorers should not wear an age category label.
Points are award in each Grand Prix race as follows:
The first man, regardless of age category, is awarded 300 points. The second man is awarded 299 points. And so on.
The first lady, regardless of age category, is awarded 150 points. The second lady is awarded 149 points. And so on.
No points are awarded for non-scorers, as the name suggests.
Age at AGM date determines age category for the season in Grand Prix awards. If you change age category during the season you become eligible for the new category in individual Grand Prix races. N.B. This paragraph does not apply to Championship races!
All individual Grand Prix races are scoring races for the team awards.
The annual team awards are:
- Men, first 4 to count (aggregate points for the first 4 male finishers from a club)
- Men, rest to count (aggregate points for all male finishers from a club outside the top 4)
- Men, all to count (aggregate points for all male finishers)
- Ladies, first 4 to count (aggregate points for the first 4 female finishers from a club)
- Ladies, rest to count (aggregate points for all female finishers from a club outside the top 4)
- Ladies, all to count (aggregate points for all female finishers)
Note: For annual team awards, no competitor can contribute to the winning of more than one prize. E.g. a club winning the four-to-count trophy cannot win the all-to-count trophy, yet can win the rest-to-count trophy.
- Category prizes are given at each of the races.
- At the end of the series, trophies are awarded in each category based on the runners’ best 7 scores from the 10 races (or best 6 scores if only 7, 8, or 9 races are scheduled). A minimum of six races have to be completed to qualify for an award (five in a 7, 8, or 9-race series). Note: details for a depleted series consisting of less than 7 races will be posted online if this situation occurs.
Prior to races, keep in touch with your club rep, who will have greater details on each race, including directions. If details of any race have to be changed, your club rep will be informed.
We are currently putting together our race calendar for 2023. We hugely appreciate our host clubs; the race series couldn’t happen without them. If you think your club could organise a race, please review the race organisers’ documents page, and get in touch via our contact form.
|Race 1||Holmfirth Harriers||Honley||TBC|
|Race 2||Kirkstall Harriers||Kirkstall Abbey||TBC|
|Race 3||Northowram Pumas||TBC||13.07.23|